Thursday, January 15, 2009

Catching up with photos from previous postings

Click on any image to make it larger!
At the end it seems to cut off older entries, but I believe you can click "older posts".

This is the sequel to the other photo I posted earlier of the Elephant and the bus. This happened to a bus I was on also, but it happened too fast, and I was a bit too shocked, to get out my camera. Luckily the woman whose window he chose gave up her roasted corn without a fight, I would not argue with an elephant!

Beautiful stupa in Anaradhapuram

Anuradhapuram, like the church steeple in other parts of the world, the Stupa is always so dramatic on the sky line in Asia

old and restored stupas togther in Anuradhapuram

Anaradhapuram, look at that scaffolding, it didnt look too secure to me, there were people all over it, looking like little bugs in the distance

Look at the men in the center of the stupa repairing it, I can't tell you how hot it was and they were completely covered with clothing and it didn't look too secure to me

Buddha Samadhi in Anuradhapuram. I love the woman sweeping the shrine early in the morning, I'd like to say, as in Angkor Wat in Cambodia, before the hordes of tourists arrived, but unfortunately that is not the case in under-touristed Sri Lanka

this was a Buddhist ceremony I was lucky enough to come across in Anuradhapuram, I don't know Buddhist rituals as well as Hindu ones, so I'm not sure what they were doing, but it was impressive and the drumming was terrific

Anuradhapuram was an elegant leafy city.

Polonowara, Buddha images in a ruined temple

Parinirvana, The death of the Buddha with his faithful servant Ananda at Polonowara. Its beautifully restored, but its a shame that there is a structure over it now.

Polonowara, standing Buddha in ruined stupa

stupa in the ancient ruined kingdom of Polonowara

view from Sigiria, you can see the huge Buddha in the background

Sigiria where I climbed to the top to see the ruins of a place, nice piece of real-estate!


street shrine for Shiva in Chennai, its these little shrines I stumble on all the time that I love the most about India, the only thing you are missing is the intoxicating smell of insence and often there is music playing, Shiva shrines are identified by the trident, shiva's main symbol

detail of shiva shrine

This is Cholomandal artist colony and residency that was started in the 60's south of Chennai on the east coast road. Its recently undergone a lot of renovation, this is a view of the grounds and the new state of the art gallery on the right, I hope to stay here someday.


Cholomandal visiting artist quarters

This is my new friend Shailesh who lives at Cholomandal and one of his very interesting paintings dealing with Yoga. Shailesh organizes that gallery exhibitions at Dakshinachitra and did a great job with our show. He has a vibrant personality and it would be great to get him to UConn someday on a Fulbright.

No comments:

Post a Comment