Monday, June 15, 2009

Galle to Colombo, Ruined Tsunami buildings, and Colombo

At last I'm able to go through photos from Sri Lanka and continue the blog I could not finish in January. The first few are from the beach town of Unatunawala, and the old Dutch city of Galle, then from the window of a slow train from Galle to Colombo, sometimes riding so close to the water I felt I could touch down and put my hand in. There were miles of fragments and ruined buildings all the way.
Colombo itself is a large elegant city, I stayed in Cinnamon Gardens which had some beautiful old mansions,unfortunately many now have high walls around them and its hard to see in, much less photograph. Many have also become embassies.
Beautiful Unatunawala beach

Banyon tree Galle
Galle, Old house


While new Galle didn't have the same charm as the old city, it did have the fast internet cafes

Ruins, Galle to Colombo








Elegant Colombo

Older section of downtown Colombo with narrow streets, reminding me more of the dense layered parts of Indian cities. The modern buildings replaced older ones destroyed during fires during uprisings in the past


Cinnamon Gardens


No comments:

Post a Comment